Friday, February 27, 2009

Multi-genre explemplar of poem

Here is Langston Hughes' poem - a model for what I did...
The Negro Speaks of Rivers
by
Langston Hughes

I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the
flow of human blood in human veins.
My soul has grown deep like the rivers.
I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy
bosom turn all golden in the sunset.
I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.
My soul has grown deep like the rivers.


My poetry example based on the above poem:
Negro Speaks of Harlem

I’ve known men:
I’ve known colored men suffering from oppression for no other reason
Than the blackness of their skin.

My soul is as deep as their blackness longing for a place of respect in this world.

I walked the streets of Harlem when Manhattan was a bubbling child,
Rent parties blaring and colored folks being refused to enter high-class clubs.
I’ve talked among the men at parties realizing my place in their society.
I’ve heard the migrating southerners longing for more prosperity carrying hope
As their largest luggage and meeting with nothing but despair upon their
Arrival.
I’ve known Harlem:
Hopeful, Misleading and Declining

My soul has sunk like so many here in Harlem, although my own success has not been
Overshadowed.

No comments: