Monday, March 2, 2009

Early years poem - sample

The Early Years Blues

Born in Joplin, my parents loved me
But couldn’t get along with each other

Said I was born in Joplin, got lots of love
But my parents couldn’t get along
Mom went to look for stable work
Daddy hightailed it to Mexico feelin’ he was wrong

Raised by grandma until I was 12 in Kansas
She wanted what was best for me

Said I was raised by grandma ‘til I was 12
She wanted all the world for me
Grandpa died at that point
Mom came and took me to Illinoi

Homer Clark and Mom moved from place to place
We went from Illinois to Ohio and I began to write

Said Homer and Mom took me all over
Traveling the Midwest and I began to write
Moved through nine cities before I graduated high school in Cleveland
And took some time for delight

Headed down to Mexicali
Wanted a change of atmosphere

Said I headed down to Mexicali
Wanted a change of atmosphere
Started teaching English
Only lasted but a year

Headed North again seeking smarts
And some change

Said I headed to New York City seeking smarts
And some change
Enrolled at Columbia U
Far from my roots on the range

Success was coming
I could feel it in my bones

Said success was coming
I could feel it in my bones.
My big break happened when Lindsay read my poems
Shocked and surprised, his mind was blown.

No comments: