Monday, March 2, 2009

Sample journal entry - exemplar

May 10, 1967

My days are quickly coming to an end. I feel them slipping by me the same way the countrysides of my youth drifted by in a fuzz and a whirl. I watched many people come and go and my life really feels complete despite my age and lack of relationships. I had wanted to be married but was dismayed early in life when love just didn’t come easily to me. Looking back on my years now, I feel as though I have done what my life has been put her for.

I traveled all over this good world, from Haiti, Mexico to the Soviet Union and Europe. I’ve played all kinds of place and met all kinds of people. No job was beneath me and situation was unconquerable. I am proud of what I have done even though everything hasn’t gone as planned.

When I found out that I had cancer, I wasn’t really surprised, I just didn’t think that life would pass me by so much more quickly. I’ve had so many opportunities afforded to me and I can honestly say that I’ve made the most of them all. I left my mark on this world as few can say and I had fun too. In these closing days, as I know the end is near, I warmly remember the hardships of my youth and the plight that my people and I have faced. I am confident that my work will touch people in a way that will hopefully inspire the young Negros of America to do something with their lives. Then at least I know my legacy was for something.

Signing out for now

No comments: